Temporal is an open source programming model that can simplify code, make applications more reliable, and help developers focus on the important things like delivering features faster. Our amazing user community provides us with real-time feedback and contributions to improve the developer experience everywhere.
Backed by top VC firms, we have built a team of professionals from various successful start-ups and well-known technology companies. Together, we collaborate cross-functionally, engage with and support our users to improve the developer experience, deliver world-class open-source software, and enhance our commercial SaaS platform.
Temporal is growing and working towards building the best community. We are looking for those who share our values, challenge 'standard' thinking, and want to influence our future. If you have a passion for helping developer communities, open-source software, and want to be a part of our amazing team, we'd love to hear from you!
We have an opening for a Senior Staff Distributed Systems Software Engineer to function as the technical lead on our Open Source Server team. This team is responsible for developing all of Temporal’s server-side features. As Temporal becomes the foundation of more mission-critical systems, ensuring high reliability is our top priority. The work you will do is key to helping our growing team of engineers develop features without complicating the server as the increasing complexity of our systems creates additional challenges.
You will be responsible for multiple components as the Technical Leader.
What you’ll impact:
- Help shape the future of Temporal
- Change the way developers think of distributed systems applications
- Make Temporal the best platform to build next-generation distributed systems applications
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement critical server projects
- Impact the system design for all Temporal server projects through design review
- Mentor other engineers and collaborate with them to ensure the best design and implementation choices, and identify future implications of design choices early in the development cycles
Example projects you'll work on:
- Nexus: The foundation of a future Service marketplace
- High availability across multiple regions
- Working on the Temporal server’s extensibility framework
What you’ll bring to the team:
- Rich experience in large-scale distributed systems design (reliability, scalability)
- Operational experience in large-scale distributed systems
- Experience developing highly concurrent systems
- Knowledge and experience to further ensure the high reliability of the Temporal system
- The ability to think holistically about the Temporal server and help simplify its structure
- Ideas and actions to improve the velocity of the team
What’s good to have:
- Familiarity with Go
- Experience with infrastructure environments (strong plus)
What you can expect:
- Hyper-growth company
- Awesome engineering culture
- Very strong technical coworkers
- No bureaucracy nonsense
- Focus on delivery and impact
- Bias towards action with reliability
- Prefer incremental improvement and fast iteration
Compensation ranges reflect salary and commission compensation (when applicable) across several geographic markets. Employment offers carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, knowledge, expertise, skillset, market location, and job level assessed during the interview process.
Benefits & Perks
Paid Time Off (PTO) and Benefits outside the United States vary by country, and are issued in partnership with Remote.com.
Additionally, Temporal offers perks to all employees for learning & career development, a lifestyle spending account, in-home office setup (in addition to company-issued hardware), professional memberships, work-from-home meals, and access to the Calm app for mental wellness.