We are expanding our team! You can live anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, or from another country if specified in the job posting.
Temporal is growing, and we welcome great people to enable our growth. We are looking for those who share our values, challenge 'standard' thinking and want to influence our future. If you want to be part of an amazing team, have a passion for open-source software, and a desire to build strong developer communities, then come join us!
Temporal helps developers focus on the important things, like writing business logic, and spend less time worrying about the underlying infrastructure. We have a great open-source community filled with awesome developers (who are also our users!) providing us with real-time feedback and contributions. Temporal is backed by top VC firms, with a well built team of professionals from various successful start-ups and well-known technology companies. We always work toward building the best community, and if these things interest you too, we’d love to hear from you.
We have an opening for a Staff+/Tech Lead - Distributed Systems Software Engineer to function as the technical lead on our Open Source Server team. This team is responsible for developing all of Temporal’s server-side features. As Temporal becomes the foundation of more mission-critical systems, ensuring high reliability is our top priority. The work you will do is key to helping our growing team of engineers develop features without complicating the server as the increasing complexity of our systems creates additional challenges.
You will be responsible for multiple components as the Technical Leader.
What you’ll impact:
- Help shape the future of Temporal
- Change the way developers think of distributed systems applications
- Make Temporal the best platform to build next-generation distributed systems applications
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement critical server projects
- Impact the system design for all Temporal server projects through design review
- Mentor other engineers and collaborate with them to ensure the best design and implementation choices, and identify future implications of design choices early in the development cycles
Example projects you'll work on:
- Nexus: The foundation of a future Service marketplace
- High availability across multiple regions
- Working on the Temporal server’s extensibility framework
What you’ll bring to the team:
- Rich experience in large-scale distributed systems design (reliability, scalability)
- Operational experience in large-scale distributed systems
- Experience developing highly concurrent systems
- Knowledge and experience to further ensure the high reliability of the Temporal system
- The ability to think holistically about the Temporal server and help simplify its structure
- Ideas and actions to improve the velocity of the team
What’s good to have:
- Familiarity with Go
- Experience with infrastructure environments (strong plus)
What you can expect:
- Hyper-growth company
- Awesome engineering culture
- Very strong technical coworkers
- No bureaucracy nonsense
- Focus on delivery and impact
- Bias towards action with reliability
- Prefer incremental improvement and fast iteration
- The estimated pay range for this role is $190,000 - $230,000.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Temporal's equity plan.
- Unlimited PTO, 12 Holidays & 2 Floating Holidays
- 100% Premiums Coverage for Medical, Dental / Ortho, and Vision Benefits
- AD&D, LT & ST Disability, and Life Insurance (Standard & Supplemental Available)
- 401K Plan
- Up to 20 weeks of parental leave for birth parents and 12 weeks of leave for non-birth parents, including adoptive and foster parents
- $1,500 / Year Career Development & Learning Stipend
- $1,200 / Year Lifestyle Spending Account
- $1,000 / Year In-Home Office Setup (In addition to Temporal issued equipment - laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, trackpad, and extension power cable at no cost to you)
- $500 / Year Professional Memberships
- $300 / Month Work From Home Meals
- $74 / Month Reimbursement for Internet
- Calm App Subscription for Mental Health & Wellness
- An "All Access" pass to a WeWork location
What Team Members are Doing at Temporal
Collaborating across teams to improve the developer experience, deliver world-class open-source software, engage with and support our user community, and enhance our commercial SaaS platform.
Temporal Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Temporal Technologies does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We embrace and celebrate differences and diversity.
We are not working with external recruitment agencies, thanks.